Public Art Design Council
Design Council Members The Public Art Design Council is appointed by the Mayor and Governing Body, and includes seven (7) members selected because of their expertise in visual arts, architecture, historical preservation, or affiliation with a local business or public entity. Terms are for three years. Also, ex-officio members with unlimited terms and voting privileges include the directors of parks and facilities, downtown development, planning and development, and the arts and humanities council. The designated program manager is the Assistant City Manager.
- Patrick Calvillo
- Jim Heck
- Charles Johnston
- Lovella Kelley
- Larry McLain
- Kari Mailloux
- Teresa Ooton Preston
- Justin Combs, Director of Parks & Facilities
- Jana McCarron, Director of Planning & Development
- Jim Seitnater, Downtown Development Director
- Mark Rassette, Executive Director of Hutchinson Arts & Humanities Council (HRAH)
Duties & Responsibilities of the Design Council
The Public Art Design Council has the responsibility to develop a collection of public art that is of the highest quality, that will encompass a broad aesthetic range reflecting the City and the minds of its citizens, that will improve the quality of life in the area, that will be accessible to all individuals and be a source of pride to all residents. The Public Art Design Council shall seek to develop the Percent for Art Program and the associated collection in such a way so that it is intimately integrated into the fabric of the City of Hutchinson and reflects a broad range of community input and involvement by artists and art professionals.
The Public Art Design Council is responsible for reviewing, advocating and developing public art projects in the public domain for the City of Hutchinson. It will develop a formal structure in which to create, develop and maintain public art as well as further public accessibility to the arts.
Specifically, the Percent for Art Program objectives include:
- Develop a public art program that is unique to Hutchinson.
- Increase the understanding and enjoyment of public art by Hutchinson residents.
- Invite public participation in the interaction with public spaces.
- Provide unusual and challenging employment opportunities for artists.
- Encourage collaborations between artists and architects, and artists and engineers.
- Support artist participation on design Committees for planning public projects.
- Encourage variety of art forms: temporary and permanent, object and event, single or dispersed locations.
- Spread commissions among a wide number of artists and strive for overall diversity in style, scale and intent.
Design Council Meetings
The Public Art Design Council meets bi-monthly at 3:30 p.m. on the second Thursday of January, March, May, July, September and November. Meetings are held in the Executive Conference Room of City Hall, located at 125 East Avenue B, Hutchinson, Kansas. Meetings are open to the public.
Meryl R. Dye
Assistant City Manager/ADA Coordinator
City Manager's Office
125 E Avenue B
Hutchinson, KS 67501
TDD: KS Relay 7-1-1
Monday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.